Things You’ll Need to Clean Patent Leather Purses
- Rubbing alcohol
- Mineral oil
- Liquid detergent
- Acetone-free polish remover
- Petroleum jelly
- Glass cleaner
Step 1 – Spring clean your patent purse with a soapy mixture
Clean your patent leather bag with warm water and liquid soap. Mix 1 one part soap with 4 four parts lukewarm water.
Apply the soapy mixture to the patent leather bag with an old rag T-shirt or diaper. Pat the patent bag dry with a clean towel.
Step 2 – Get rid of pesky pen marks
Remove tough scuff and pen marks with rubbing alcohol. First, rub the marks with a terry towel or microfiber cloth. If the stain persists, dab the marks with a cotton swab dipped in rubbing alcohol.
Press firmly on the purse to saturate the pen-stained leather. Wait 5 five minutes. Wipe the solution clean with a clean cloth to remove the stain completely.
Step 3 – Restore shine with vinegar and water
Shine your patent handbag the bag with water and vinegar.
Restore gloss by mixing 1 or 2 tablespoons of tbsp. white vinegar with a ½ 1/2 cup of cold water. Rinse the patent bag with water to rid your purse of any vinegar residue.
Step 4 – Banish black scuffs with polish remover
Get rid of black scuffs with acetone-free nail polish remover. Using a cotton ball soaked with polish remover, gently dab the scuffed area to remove the black mark.
Wipe the bag with a rag dipped in cold water to remove any polish remover residue. Let bag dry in a well-ventilated area for 24 hours.
Step 5 – Keep bags clean with mild liquid detergent and water
To remove surface dirt, clean your patent leather purse with a mixture of water and liquid detergent.
Mix 2 tablespoons of detergent with 1 cup of cold water. Soak the edge of a white cloth in the soapy water to clean. Pat purse dry using a clean cloth.
Step 6 -Clean dirty patent leather with a vinegar and water mixture
To restore shine to a patent leather handbag, mix 2 to 4 tablespoons of vinegar with a ½ cup of warm water.
Use a clean white rag or old white t-shirt to eliminate any small traces of vinegar residue on the purse.
Step 7 -Spray your patent leather bag with glass cleaner for additional shine
Spray the cleaner on a white towel and rub it gently. Rub the patent bag lightly to clean.
Dry your patent handbag in a well-ventilated and cool area for 20 to 30 minutes.
Step 8- Moisturize your bag with petroleum jelly or mineral oil
Apply a small drop of the greasy product to a clean white cloth. Polish the patent bag using a circular motion.
Final Patent Leather Purse Cleaning Tricks and Tips
- If cosmetics spill on your patent handbag, wipe them off with a clean damp cloth.
- Real Simple Magazine says, “To prevent dye transfer in the future, store patent leather away from colored plastic or cotton bags.”
- Do not apply heat from a blow dryer to dry your patent leather handbag quickly.
- To maintain the shape of your leather bags, stuff them with a tissue or plastic bags. Then, to keep them from sticking together when you store them, place each in a flannel bag or a pillowcase.
- For fresh stains, Who What Wear recommends that you, apply a bit of Scotch tape directly to the stain. Since patent leather is resistant to a number of common substances, peeling the tape off will, in many cases, remove the mark completely.
- Avoid using wax products, which can cause patent leather to crack and peel.