Throwing away a purse is said to bring bad luck. Purse superstitions have been around for centuries and are still popularly believed today.
While there is no scientific evidence to back this claim, there is a big chunk of the population that believes that discarding your purse will lead to negative consequences. Interestingly, there is no explanation for why this is considered bad luck.
Some believe that it’s because a woman’s purse symbolizes her wealth and power, while others think that the unlucky act of getting rid of a purse is related to ancient beliefs about witches and their tools of the trade.
No matter the reason, it seems that most people believe in some form of bad luck by throwing away a purse. So if you’re feeling superstitious, you may want to think twice before pitching your old bag!
Does Throwing Away a Purse Really Bring Bad Luck?
It Decreases Your Wealth
It’s just a superstition, but some people believe that throwing away a purse decreases a woman’s wealth.
The logic goes that by discarding a purse, you are also getting rid of the money it contains. While it may seem like a silly belief, it is actually rooted in some ancient wisdom.
In many cultures, it is considered bad luck to give away or sell used items, as they are thought to be tainted with the previous owner’s negative energy.
purses are particularly important, as they are often seen as being representative of a woman’s financial status.
As such, it is believed that giving away or selling a purse will lead to decreased wealth. Whether or not you believe in this superstition, it’s always best to be careful with your finances!
You Lose Your Identity
There is another common superstition that if a woman throws away her purse, she will lose her identity. While this may sound far-fetched, it is actually based on some kernels of truth.
A purse typically contains a woman’s most important belongings, including her ID, money, and credit cards.
Losing a purse can therefore be a very stressful experience, particularly if it contains items that are difficult to replace. However, this superstition is not backed by science, and there is no reason to believe that throwing away a purse will cause a woman to lose her identity.
In fact, many women use this superstition as an opportunity to purge their purses of unwanted items and start fresh with a new purse.
So, while this superstition may be based on some truth, there is no need to worry about losing your identity if you throw away your purse.
You Lose Your Stature
For centuries, people have believed that throwing away a purse makes a woman lose her stature in the society. Some people think that this happens because the purse symbolizes a woman’s wealth and status.
Others believe that the purse is like a woman’s good luck charm, and losing it will lead to bad luck. However, there is no scientific evidence to support this superstition.
In fact, it is more likely that a woman’s social status is determined by other factors, such as her education, work experience, and family background. So if you ever lose your purse, don’t worry – your social status won’t be affected.
Witches use discarded Purses
A common superstition is that if a woman discards her purse, a witch will find it and use it, thus bringing bad luck.
This superstition is most likely based on the fact that witches are often portrayed as using bags or cauldrons to store their potions and spell ingredients.
However, there is no scientific evidence to support this claim. In fact, many people believe that this tradition is simply a way to encourage women to take care of their belongings.
So, while this superstition may be fun to think about, there is no need to worry about witches stealing your discarded purse.
Things to Do with an Old Worn Out Purse
- If the purse is still in good condition but you’re simply tired of it, consider donating it to a local thrift store.
- You could also give it to a friend or family member who may appreciate it more than you do.
- If the purse is in bad condition but there’s still a lot of life left in it, try repurposing it as a plant holder. Just make sure to punch a few holes in the bottom for drainage.
- Another option for a worn out purse is to use it as extra storage space in your home. Toss in any loose items floating around your house like batteries, change, or receipts and use it as a catch-all drawer.
- For the crafty person, an old purse can be upcycled into something new entirely. For example, you could turn it into a unique clutch by adding some embellishments like beads or sequins.
- Have a party coming up and need a last-minute gift bag? An old purse can come in handy for that as well. Just throw in some tissue paper and voila!
- If you happen to have an old coin purse laying around, put it to good use by using it as a temporary emergency fund. This can come in useful for unexpected expenses like parking meters or tipping the waiter at a restaurant.
- If you own a pet, there’s a good chance they could use an extra toy or two. Most purses are the perfect size for stuffing with soft fabric and making into a cute little toy for your furry friend to enjoy.
- Know someone who’s moving soon? A moving purse is always appreciated by those who are relocating because it provides an easy way to transport small items from one home to another without having to carry them by hand. Simply fill it with items like light bulbs, soap, or tissues and tape it shut before giving it to your friend on moving day.
And last but not least, if none of these options appeal to you, simply throw away the purse! Contrary to popular belief, there’s no such thing as bad luck when getting rid of an old purse – only good riddance!
If you’re considering whether or not it’s bad luck to throw away a purse, it is important to understand that it is just a superstition.
There is no scientific evidence backing this supersition. Purse superstitions are rooted in many cultures and date back centuries. In general, they caution against getting rid of purses because they believe that doing so will lead to financial troubles.
While there’s no guarantee that throwing away a purse will cause money problems, it’s best to err on the side of caution and keep your old purse around – just in case.