Have you ever wondered what those straps or loops on purses are called? You know, the ones that you hold onto when carrying your bag? Well, wonder no more! In this article, we’ll uncover the official name for purse handles and delve into their different styles and functions. So whether you’re a fashion enthusiast or simply curious about the world of accessories, keep reading to find out what these essential parts of a purse are called.
You may have heard different terms used to refer to purse handles, but have you ever wondered which one is correct? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! In this article, we’ll reveal the proper name for those straps or loops that help you carry your beloved handbag. Join us as we explore the world of purse handles, their origins, and the various names they go by. So if you’re ready to add some knowledge to your fashion vocabulary, keep reading to find out what these essential components are officially called.
If you’ve ever found yourself admiring a stylish purse and wondered what its handles are called, you’re not alone. Many people are curious about the terminology used to describe these functional and fashionable accessories. In this article, we’ll unveil the correct name for purse handles and delve into the fascinating world of bag design. So whether you’re a fashion lover or simply have a penchant for trivia, keep reading to discover the official term for those handy straps or loops that make carrying your purse a breeze.
Brief History of Purses
From ancient times to modern fashion, purses have been an essential accessory for both practicality and style. Let’s take a quick journey through the fascinating history of purses:
- Ancient Beginnings: Purses can be traced back to ancient civilizations like Egypt and Mesopotamia. These early pouches were primarily made of leather and were used to carry essentials like coins, keys, and personal items.
- Medieval Era: During the Middle Ages, purses became more elaborate, often adorned with embroidery and precious metals. They were worn by both men and women and were considered a symbol of social status.
- Renaissance and Baroque Styles: In the 16th and 17th centuries, purses took on intricate designs with the rise of embroidery and embellishments. They were often carried by women and were designed to complement their extravagant dresses.
- Victorian Era: The Industrial Revolution brought advancements in manufacturing techniques, leading to the mass production of purses. The Victorian era saw a wide variety of styles, including beaded purses, reticules, and chatelaines, which were worn hanging from a belt.
- 20th-century Innovations: With the turn of the 20th century, purses began to evolve further. Designers like Coco Chanel and Hermes introduced iconic handbag styles that are still sought after today. The introduction of zippers and clasps made purses more secure and practical.
- Contemporary Trends: Today, we are spoilt for choice with a wide range of purse styles, from tote bags to crossbody bags to clutches. Designers constantly push the boundaries of creativity, using a diverse range of materials and shapes to cater to every taste and occasion.
Types of Purse Handles
As a handbag enthusiast and expert in the fashion industry, you may be wondering about the different types of purse handles. Well, wonder no more! Here are some commonly used purse handle styles:
- Shoulder Straps: These are long straps that allow you to carry your handbag over your shoulder. They can be thin or wide, detachable or adjustable, and made from materials like leather, chain, or fabric.
- Top Handles: Also known as carry handles, these are short straps located at the top of the handbag. Perfect for carrying your bag by hand, top handles can be made from various materials, including leather, metal, or even wood.
- Crossbody Straps: These straps are designed to be worn across the body, offering a secure and hands-free option. Crossbody straps can be adjustable and are usually longer than shoulder straps.
- Chain Straps: If you’re looking for a touch of elegance and sophistication, chain straps are the way to go. They add a luxurious and stylish element to any handbag, and can be found in different colors, lengths, and sizes.
- Wrist Straps: Ideal for petite bags or evening clutches, wrist straps allow you to carry your handbag comfortably around your wrist. These straps can be detachable or permanently attached to the bag.
- Detachable Straps: Many handbags come with detachable straps, providing versatility and options for different carrying styles. You can switch from a shoulder bag to a crossbody bag by simply detaching or attaching the strap.
Traditional Purse Handle Names
As a handbag enthusiast and fashion industry insider, you might be wondering about the different names for purse handles. Let’s explore the traditional names used for various handle styles:
- Shoulder Straps: These handles are designed to be worn over the shoulder, allowing you to carry your purse hands-free. They are typically long and adjustable, ensuring a comfortable fit for different body types.
- Top Handles: Also known as carry handles, these are attached to the top of the purse and are meant to be held in your hand or worn on your forearm. They add a touch of elegance and sophistication to your look.
- Crossbody Straps: These handles are longer and designed to be worn across the body, diagonally from one shoulder to the opposite hip. Crossbody purses offer security and convenience, leaving your hands free for other activities.
- Chain Straps: These handles are made of metal chains and are a popular choice for evening bags and designer purses. They add a touch of glamour and can elevate your outfit instantly.
- Wrist Straps: This type of handle is a small loop or strap that is designed to be slipped over your wrist. Wristlet purses are compact and perfect for carrying just the essentials for a night out or a quick errand.
- Detachable Straps: These handles are versatile and can be detached or removed, giving you the option to switch up your look or carry your purse in different ways. They can be attached to different parts of the bag, depending on the design.
Knowing the names of different purse handle styles can help you make informed choices when selecting a handbag that suits your personal style and needs. Next, let’s delve into the materials and features you can find in these handle styles.
Modern Purse Handle Names
As a handbag enthusiast and expert in the fashion industry, you know that purse handles play a crucial role in both the functionality and style of a handbag. In the modern world of fashion, there are several names for different purse handle styles. Here are the most common ones you should be familiar with:
- Shoulder Straps: These are long straps that allow you to carry the handbag over your shoulder. They are often adjustable and come in various materials like leather, chain, or fabric.
- Top Handles: These handles are attached to the top of the handbag and are meant to be held in the hand or worn on the forearm. They can be made of leather, metal, or other sturdy materials.
- Crossbody Straps: Designed for hands-free convenience, crossbody straps are long and typically worn diagonally across the body. They are perfect for when you need to keep your hands free while on the go.
- Chain Straps: Add a touch of elegance and glamour to your handbag with chain straps. They are usually made of metal links and can be worn as top handles, shoulder straps, or crossbody straps.
- Wrist Straps: Ideal for smaller handbags or clutches, wrist straps attach to one side of the bag, allowing you to slip your hand through and carry it effortlessly on your wrist.
- Detachable Straps: Versatility at its finest, detachable straps can be removed or added to a handbag according to your preference. This allows you to change the look and style of your bag whenever you want.
Now that you have explored the fascinating history of purses and the diverse range of styles available today, you are equipped with valuable knowledge to make informed choices when selecting a handbag. From shoulder straps to chain straps, top handles to wrist straps, understanding the names and characteristics of different purse handle styles will enhance your shopping experience.
By delving into the evolution of purses throughout different eras and the contributions of iconic designers like Coco Chanel and Hermes, you have gained insight into the rich heritage and innovation that has shaped the handbag industry. The advancements in manufacturing techniques have allowed for the creation of a wide variety of purse styles, ensuring that there is a perfect handbag for every occasion and personal preference.
Remember, the handle of a purse not only serves a functional purpose but also adds a touch of style and elegance to your overall look. Whether you prefer the practicality of a crossbody strap or the sophistication of a top handle, understanding the names and features of different purse handle styles empowers you to choose a handbag that perfectly complements your individual fashion sense.
So, the next time you embark on a handbag shopping adventure, embrace your newfound knowledge and confidently select a purse with the perfect handle that suits your needs and personal style. Happy shopping!